Today, 22nd September, is World Rhino Day!
Rhinos are in serious danger of vanishing from the wild. 1004 rhinos were poached in South Africa alone last year. This number is increasing each year and soon the population numbers are going to go down and quickly.
Rhinos are one of my favourite animals and I cant understand why anyone would want to hurt these beautiful creatures. They're horns are worth more their weight in gold and it comes at a much greater cost. There is no Scientific evidence that their horns have any medicinal value what so ever. After all, their horns are mostly Keratin; the same thing that our fingernails are made out of!
Started by WWF South Africa in 2010, World Rhino Day is celebrated every 22nd September.
Team Rhino. This is launched by the International Rhino Foundation, Save The Rhino and Asian Rhino Project. The picture to the left shows Dr. Jane Goodall supporting Team Rhino. Support #TEAMRHINO !
To celebrate World Rhino Day 2014, Save The Rhino are also launching a ‘Nail it for Rhinos’ campaign.Rhinos are being poached for their horns, which are made from keratin; the same material found in human hair and nails. So this year they are asking you to join in and make a stand for rhinos. Paint your nails on World Rhino Day to raise awareness and show the world that rhino horn is made the same substance as nails!
How to Nail it for Rhinos in 5 simple steps:
- Paint your nails for rhinos - get creative!
- Upload your nail selfie to social media - Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest and include the hashtag #nailit4rhinos, or send it to us email@example.com
- If you're in the UK donate £3 to help save rhinos by texting NAIL14 £3 to 70070.Or donate online from the rest of the world
- Share your photo with friends
- Visit www.savetherhino.org to learn more and see if your nail selfie has been featured on our website as one of the best
To find out what else is happening around the world this World Rhino Day and to show your own support; head over to: www.worldrhinoday.org to find out more!